Thursday, January 6, 2011

Research on Committment within Mixed-Orientation Marriages

By Mister Curie

I received an interesting comment on a post the other day from a former Mormon graduate student doing a study on commitment in Mixed-Orientation Marriages.  He is looking for couples to interview about their Mixed-Orientation marriages.  Unfortunately I do not currently qualify for the study because I have not been out to my wife for two years yet.  However, if any of my readers qualify for the study and are interested, I would encourage you to contact him and to participate in the study.  I think the results of the study could be very interesting and useful to others in MOMs, therapists working with people in MOMs, etc.

Here is copy of the comment for those interested:

I am a graduate student of family studies at Iowa State University. I am doing my dissertation research on commitment in mixed-orientation relationships (gay or bisexual man partnered with a woman). Earlier research has reported that there are approximately two million mixed-orientation marriages in the U.S. and that 15% of these marriages continue past 3 years. 

Participants qualify IF:

• The male identifies as anything but heterosexual, including homosexual, gay, bisexual, queer, pansexual, and so on.
• The non-heterosexuality of the male has been acknowledged between the couple for at least two years.
• The couple is in a committed intimate relationship, legally recognized or not.
• Both partners are willing to be interviewed.

The female partner may be of any sexual orientation. The couple need not be in a sexually monogamous relationship, but they should identify each other as their primary partner.

I plan to interview each partner individually at least once, and the couple together at least once, by phone or Skype. Interviews will last approximately 60 minutes. Participant identity will be kept confidential.

Those interested in participating in the study can contact me by email at kevinz@iastate.edu or by phone at 515-441-9397.

I've seen your blog before and hope you'll be willing to participate, and to pass the announcement along to anyone who may be interested. My wife and I also married as Mormons, although I'm atheist now as well. 

Thank you for your time!

Kevin Zimmerman
Graduate Student
Department of Human Development & Family Studies
Iowa State University

No comments:

Post a Comment