Saturday, June 26, 2010

July 2010 Ensign

By Mister Curie

I received my July Ensign in the mail yesterday.  Just in case anyone has forgotten the official stance of the church on homosexuality, there are two explicit references toward homosexuality.  On page 51, Elder Ballard reiterates that "No one is to engage in sexual relationships outside the bounds the Lord has set.  This applies to homosexual behavior of any kind . . ." and on page 11 in the "What We Believe" section it advises that "If you are struggling with sexual temptations, including feelings of same-gender attraction, you can choose to resist those temptations."  Labeling my feelings as "temptations", as if they were some external force and not originating from myself, was one of the things that kept me from accepting that I am gay.

Most issues of the Ensign scrupulously avoid including pictures of cute guys, but this month's issue does not disappoint.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's interesting to see the topic addressed so directly. Refreshing in a way, but again no solution is endorsed other than avoidance. No guidance on how to use apparently God-given feelings constructively. That's the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @GMB - I guess I interpret the statements in the Ensign as saying that homosexual feelings are temptations from Satan, rather than God-given. If it is not obvious, that is no longer my belief.

    ReplyDelete