By Mister Curie
On page 11 of the book I recently reviewed, "Bi America," there is a list of thirteen myths about bisexuality, compiled by bisexuals at a Bisexual Empowerment Conference: A Uniting Supportive Experience (BECAUSE). Here is the list:
1. Bisexuals are easy; they are indiscriminate about whom they have sex with.
2. All bisexuals are swingers.
3. Bisexuals have the best of both worlds and are twice as likely to get a date.
4. Bisexuals are unable to commit to either gender.
5. Bisexual women are all wives just trying to please their husbands, and bisexual men are all married guys cheating on their wives.
6. Bisexuality is just a phase on the way to being lesbian or gay
7. Bisexuals are unable to be happy, have low self-esteem, or are mentally ill.
8. Bisexuals are disease carriers.
9. Bisexuals are a very small part of the population.
10. Bisexuals are just trying to maintain heterosexual privilege.
11. Bisexuals can't be feminist.
12. People call themselves bisexual to be trendy.
13. Bisexuality is a choice.
Belief in myth #6 is one thing that led me so quickly to adopt the gay label without fully considering the bisexual label previously, along with feeling resonance with stories of others who now identify as gay.
Have you or do you believe any of these 13 points about bisexuals?
3 hours ago